top of page

Acerca de

History

History of Mount Calvary Missionary Baptist Association

The Mount Calvary Missionary Baptist Association was organized in 1870 at the Friendship Baptist Church in Hamilton, GA.  The first annual session was held on the week after the third Sunday in August 1870.  The Reverend E. B. Rucker was elected the Association’s first moderator, and the Reverend W. Brookins was its first clerk.

 

Since its founding, the Mount Calvary Missionary Baptist Association has been a beacon of hope and inspiration in the Columbus and Hamilton, Georgia communities and the surrounding areas.  To date, there have been twenty pastors who have served as moderator.  The current moderator is the Reverend Dr. Marcus J. Gibson, pastor of the Greater Shady Grove Missionary Baptist Church of Columbus, Georgia.  In highlighting the collective work of constituent churches, perhaps no statement touches upon it better than those words spoken by Sister Bertha Broadnax, the Association’s first secretary: “our needs are constant, recurring, and ever-increasing.”

bottom of page